Lobo Life

The Student News Site of Calla High School

Lobo Life

Lobo Life

Calla High School Says Thank You to Veterans

On Saturday, Nov. 11, Americans will celebrate Veterans Day. The Lobos will honor Calla High School teachers Shane Armstrong and Scott Millard for their service and commitment.

Veterans Day is a legal holiday dedicated to American veterans of all wars (history.com). The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs states, “The ceremony commences precisely at 11:00 a.m. with a wreath laying at the Tomb of the Unknowns and continues inside the Memorial Amphitheater with a parade of colors by Veterans’ organizations and remarks from dignitaries. The ceremony is intended to honor and thank all who served in the United States Armed Forces.”

Armstrong joined the Army right out of high school in 2008. He worked in the airborne infantry and was deployed in Afghanistan for 13 months. During his time in Afghanistan, Armstrong was hurt in combat after his unit fell victim to a roadside bomb. Fortunately, he was able to survive and was awarded the Purple Heart (a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the president to those wounded or killed in action) and returned home safely. After his service ended, Armstrong used money earned from the GI Bill (benefits paid to soldiers to help them pay for college, graduate school, and training to help cover some of the costs for school or training), enrolled at the University of Pacific, and completed his education, earning his teaching credential.

“It was a life-changing adventure,” Armstrong said. “The brotherhood and bonds we built were the best parts. I had a good experience, and I wouldn’t change anything.”

Millard joined the Marines in 1992, four years after graduating high school, and spent six years working for the USMC. During his six years, Millard was stationed at Camp Pendleton in San Diego, CA. His main job was as a Field Radio Operator in a helicopter unit. After serving, Millard began his teaching career when he was 27 years old. Although he did not see combat during his six years as a Marine, Millard still found his service for the United States a valuable experience.

“There’s a tremendous feeling of pride being a Marine,” Millard said. “Bootcamp was a challenge because we found ourselves missing sleep and food, but the overall experiences were profound.”

The Veterans Day ceremony honors and thanks all who served in the United States Armed Forces. Calla High School and all of America salute the many women and men who served and sacrificed to help protect the United States.

USMC Scott Millard with his mom
Shane Armstrong
Shane Armstrong