Lobo Life

The Student News Site of Calla High School

Lobo Life

Lobo Life

Basketball Ends Season at New Vision

The+Lobos%21
The Lobos!

Basketball concluded its season last Tuesday. The Lobos lost to the New Vision Jaguars 38-35 at New Vision and finished the season with a 2-2 record.

Calla came from behind twice during the game. The Lobos erased an early 6-0 deficit in the first half and led at halftime 21-17. New Vision started hot in the second half and outscored Calla 14-0 to take a 31-17 lead. However, the Lobos continued to battle and chip away at the deficit. The Lobos, trailing 38-35, had the ball with six seconds remaining. Calla worked the ball to Bakari Barrier and got an open three-point shot, but it rattled off the rim as the time expired.

Leading scorers for the Lobos were Barrier with 12 points; Jordan Serbousek added nine, and Fidel Torres chipped in five. Torres and Serbousek collected five rebounds, and Justin Moglie and Robert Reaves snagged four. Torres also led the Lobos in steals with five in the loss to New Vision.

“I am very proud of our players,” said Calla’s principal, Ms. Bryson. “They played hard and significantly improved in all three New Vision games.”

It was a short and sweet season for Calla High School. After dropping the opener at New Vision, the Lobos rallied to beat the Jaguars in their second game, 43-33, and even the three-game series at one win apiece. Calla went on to throttle Conley-Carabello 50-17 on Feb. 26 to set up the championship game with New Vision, with the winner capturing the New Vision/Calla Classic trophy—however, the two-game winning streak ended after the Jaguars’ victory.

“We had a great team,” said coach Shane Armstrong. “Our effort was tremendous, and our team chemistry helped us achieve our goals. It was my pleasure to coach this team and to learn and grow with the players.”

Barrier, Moglie, Reaves, and Serbousek, all seniors, led the Lobos all year. Those four were catalysts and essential contributors in each game, whether scoring or asserting defensive pressure. Their hard work and leadership spread to the remaining Lobos, adding excitement to each game.

“Our basketball team displayed tremendous heart in each game,” coach Matt Zgonc added. “Given they had little experience, they learned the basics and used their passion to have a successful season. Calla High School should be proud because they exceeded their potential each day.”

Game time!
Jordan Serbousek brings the ball up court.
Barkari Barrier on his way.
Justin Moglie with the free throw.
Fidel Torres with the follow through.
Robert Reaves directing the defense.