Lobo Life

The Student News Site of Calla High School

Lobo Life

Lobo Life

Lobos Lock Up Jaguars in Hoops

Calla High School team and teachers celebrate win.

Calla beat New Vision High School 43-33 on Feb. 13 at New Vision. The Lobos avenged an earlier 39-34 loss to the Jaguars and tied the season series at one win and one loss.

Calla trailed for most of the first and second halves but used a furious pressure defense to create multiple scoring opportunities to chip away at New Vision’s lead. The Lobos pulled away late in the second half, securing the win.

Jordan Serbousek led Calla with 18 points and collected five steals for the Lobos. His leadership, hustle, and steady play from the point guard position kept Calla in the game and sparked the comeback.

Rounding out the scoring for the Lobos was Bakari Barrier with ten points, and Robert Reaves chipped in six. Reaves added four steals to his defensive stat line. Fidel Torres led Calla with seven rebounds, and Justin Moglie grabbed four.

“The team overcame an 8-point deficit through a smothering defense and good ball movement on offense,” said assistant coach Matthew Zgonc. “They started to play as a team and have improved tremendously, with everyone leaving it all on the floor. Even when they were down, they never gave up and chipped away til they took a commanding lead. We’re very proud of how they played.”

The Lobos and Jaguars will conclude their three-game series (date to be determined), and the winner will secure the coveted “Calla and New Vision Classic” trophy.

Jordan Serbousek brings the ball up court.
Fidel Torres grabs another rebound.
Bakari Barrier and Robert Reaves set up on defense.
Justin Moglie applies pressure.