Lobo Life

The Student News Site of Calla High School

Lobo Life

Lobo Life

Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Suzuki

Sandra+Suzuki
Sandra Suzuki

This week’s teacher spotlight is on Sandy Suzuki. Ms. Suzuki is a well-known and respected teacher amongst the students and staff at Calla High School, and it is an honor to highlight her in this feature story.

A great teacher possesses a combination of qualities and skills that make them effective in the classroom and the lives of their students. And for the past 25 years, Ms. Suzuki has done both with equal success. She has an excellent knowledge of the subjects she teaches (Algebra 1, Business Math, and robotics) and possesses exemplary communication skills. Her love for education and her students goes beyond the classroom walls.

“I have a passion for teaching,” Suzuki said. “In my 25 years at Calla, I still enjoy seeing the originality of the students. I also love seeing the positive changes taking place at Calla, and it makes every day interesting.”

Suzuki graduated from Thomas Downey High School of Modesto and Stanislaus State University. Before that, Suzuki competed in water skiing and spent time as a school bus driver. She’s worn many hats, and those roles helped shape her persona in the classroom and on the Calla campus.

“I think my personality and love for the students keep me young at heart,” Suzuki said.

Effective teachers connect with their students personally, showing genuine concern for their well-being and success. Empathy helps build solid teacher-student relationships. Suzuki’s style and commitment to this campus reinforce her teaching values and high expectations for her students. Her organization, dedication, and professionalism are her strong qualities. But most of all, it is her positive attitude that is the thing that makes her an excellent asset for the Lobos. She’s funny and loving and makes the campus a better place.

“Ms. Suzuki is very patient and loving,” said senior Mars Karimi. “She gives students a safe place in her classroom and treats the students as equals.”

A positive attitude and optimism can create a motivating and encouraging classroom environment that fosters learning and personal growth. Calla thanks Ms. Suzuki for her commitment to helping the Lobos level up.