Lobo Life

The Student News Site of Calla High School

Lobo Life

Lobo Life

Calla Applauds Michael Heinze on National Custodian Day

Michael+Heinze
The Lobo Life Staff
Michael Heinze

Today is National Custodian Day across America. Calla High School salutes Michael Heinze for his dedication to providing our buildings, classrooms, and grounds run at optimal levels.

Custodians are responsible for various tasks, such as cleaning, sanitizing, and maintaining buildings, restrooms, and common areas. They also help ensure the safety and hygiene of the spaces they work in, often behind the scenes. National Custodian Day aims to recognize and appreciate custodians’ tireless efforts. It is an opportunity to acknowledge these people’s crucial role in keeping institutions, such as workplaces, hospitals, public buildings, and schools, clean and orderly.

Heinze began his partnership with MUSD in 2002, initially working as a special needs aide, track coach, and substitute custodian. He has served as Calla’s head custodian for the past five years. His job requires many responsibilities and strong dedication to maintain a building close to 90 years old.

“This old school has a great vibe,” Heinze told the Lobo Life. “It does have a few maintenance challenges, which can be overwhelming, but it continues to have charm.”

Part of Heinze’s day centers on cleaning and ensuring the grounds are well-maintained.

“I am the only day-time custodian, and I have many tasks to complete,” Heinze said. “I also have monthly maintenance and grounds checks that sometimes have to wait until students and staff go on breaks. Because the buildings are older, ensuring they stay in compliance is the biggest challenge. Fortunately, if there is something I can’t improve or fix, MUSD sends help, which I appreciate.”

Although the buildings and school are old, they have undergone significant positive change. Heinze has adapted to meet the needs of the school and the students as the times have changed.

“I’m usually a status-quo type of person,” Heinze said. “However, change is good when it comes to the school, students, and staff. During my time at Calla, I have seen great changes among the students. There is more accountability in their school work and behaviors. I also work with many kind and pleasant people focused on student development.”

When he is not working tirelessly at school, Heinze enjoys traveling and attending concerts, baseball games, and movies with his family. He also likes to create 3-D art.

“I like staying busy, and time goes by quickly here at Calla,” Heinze said. “My outside interests keep me pretty busy, too.”

All who attend and work here appreciate Heinze’s dedication to Calla. The Lobos acknowledge his often unsung efforts and express gratitude for Heinze’s vital role in ensuring the daily of students and staff and the well-being of campus life.

“Mike is the hardest working staff member,” said Matthew Zgonc, one of Calla’s teachers. “He is constantly ensuring our rooms are ready and being one of the nicest guys I know.”

James Lavender, Calla’s campus monitor, agrees with Zgonc.

“Mike keeps things running smoothly around here. Hats off to him for his great work.”

Calla salutes our custodian, Michael Heinze, and appreciates everything he does. Custodians work extremely hard to keep workplaces and educational facilities tidy and operational; thus, they unquestionably need a day dedicated to them.

View Comments (2)
Donate to Lobo Life

Your donation will support the student journalists of Calla High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.